Can`t Run Salix.Lines on Login Screen.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
john4193

Can`t Run Salix.Lines on Login Screen.

Post by john4193 »

Hi,

Thought I`d try the Mate version, it all installs with no errors but I get to the login screen and there are lots of white lines all over the blue screen the mouse pointer is active but can`t input my user name or click in the box, the restart and shut down boxes on left hand side are inactive. I tried the XFCE edition and that`s exactly the same. I can run all other Linuxes ok including Slackel. PC uses a Asus M4N68T-M board with Sempron 140 and 4gb memory. Would be grateful for any suggestions, it`s puzzling me. Thanks..John.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Can`t Run Salix.Lines on Login Screen.

Post by gapan »

What graphics card do you have?
john4193

Post by john4193 »

It`s onboard graphics Nvidia Geoforce 7025/Nvidea nforce 630a. I tried running the XFCE live cd and that looks worse, the screen is a mass of horizontal white lines and just won`t run. There`s no other live cd that won`t run. It must be to do with graphics I think, I run XFCE on a much older spare copmputer and it did run, also the Mate version ran but there were lots of errors, boxes wouldn`t close down properly unless I done a reboot.
Thanks..John.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

At first glance, this looks like a problem that cropped up on the forum a while back because the kernel that comes with Salix doesn't support that card; most distros use a more recent kernel, but Slackware is more conservative. As I remember you may need to upgrade the kernel in order to install the driver, if I've got this right. A quick search of the forum should turn up the thread in question so you can see if it's relevant. There may even be a wiki entry.

As an alternative, if you like KDE, you could try Slackel (basically Salix with more recent kernel and KDE):

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... kel#p22793

However, please note that you need to install mtdev before upgrading, as described at the bottom of that post, otherwise it will break!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You could try installing the nvidia proprietary driver: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... DIA_driver
Shador

Post by Shador »

mimosa wrote:most distros use a more recent kernel, but Slackware is more conservative.
Actually because Slackware hasn't had a stable release in quite a while now.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The instructions on the wiki for installing the driver look to me like they're in the reverse order, i.e. you should start by blacklisting Nouveau and installing the kernel sources (the order doesn't matter) before then installing the driver. It might be more convenient to download it first though, if you have X, because the only step that needs to be done without X is the actual installation.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Feel free to change it as you please. That's the purpose of using a wiki. In case you're unsure about some changes, you can ask for review of course.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

OK, I swapped the order round, which maybe makes it clearer - though I do understand the logic of how it was before, because you might not need to do the earlier steps if, say, you already have kernel sources installed.
john4193

Post by john4193 »

Thanks for your help, I thought it was to do with graphics card. I`ll go through it later when I get time, will also try the KDE, I quite like KDE. Slackware is one that I haven`t really tried before.

John.