virtualbox kernel panic

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

virtualbox kernel panic

Post by mimosa »

I was having the same problem with a different Salix installation before (and assumed it was because I'd broken something, because before that, virtualbox worked just fine).

I just installed VB in Ratpoison 13.37 using the .run file from the website, having previously got the kernel source and various other dependencies I discovered by searching the Salix forum.

The GUI works but booting from CD ends in kernel panic. I tried the other (huger) kernel Salix suggests, to no avail. One of the CDs I tried was the same Ratpoison 13.37 disk I used to install the Salix I'm using as I write, so it's not a bad burn.

One thing I tried that didn't work was

Code: Select all

slapt-src -i virtualbox-kernel
but this appeared to:

Code: Select all

/etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv setup
The striking thing (it seems to me) is that I had apparently the same problem with a VirtualBox that had previously worked. That suggests it's not faulty installation. I don't know about the virtualbox-kernel slackbuild, but it seems something else might be wrong too, at the very least.
Shador

Re: virtualbox kernel panic

Post by Shador »

I always just installed kernel-source and then used the VBox Guest Additions installer available from the cd image shipped with VirtualBox on the host system. There's an option in the menu to put that image into the guests cd drive. This always worked fine when rebooting.

But reareading your post I'm not anymore sure what you're trying to achive. Are you working on a guest/host system? Or if both what happens on which? Are you trying to install VirtualBox OSE/... or VirtualBox Guest Additions?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Sorry not to be clear. I'm trying to install plain virtualbox - the additions can come later and shouldn't be any trouble I hope.

That is: I'm running Salix Ratpoison (EDIT as host, no guests booted yet), and I'm trying to install virtualisation software. So far, without success. The Salix forums apparently suggest the best way is just to download Virtual.Box.foo.bar.run from their website, and run it, and indeed I think I can remember doing that in the past successfully.

I'm currently trying the VirtualBox SlackBuild, manually; I don't really expect it to work, but it's a way of researching the problem further.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Just install VirtualBox PUEL.
install kernel-source
Download VBox from here (this is the 32 bit version):
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... ux_x86.run
The cd to the download directory chmod +x VirtualBox-4.1.6-74727-Linux_x86.run
Then do a ./VirtualBox-4.1.6-74727-Linux_x86.run
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Also, you need to have the required dependencies. See here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html#idp5526176
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I think that's what I did - except then when it didn't work (installed but attempted guest system boots ended in kernel panic) I looked around and installed some things recommended here, such as the kernel source, which pretty much everyone seems to think you need.

I'm pretty sure I remember it being as straightforward as you describe installing virtualbox before, too.

The funny thing is I had a similar problem in a different installation on this machine, as I mentioned above, where virtualbox used to work then developed these kernel panics. Do you think it could be a hardware problem? The humidity here does lead to occasional crashes.

WIth Virtualbox though, it's consistent failure.

EDIT

I think I have everything mentioned on the page you linked to, except dkms, which isn't in the repos. But I did do:

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

to no avail.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

When does the kernel panic happen?? As for hardware problem, maybe memory??
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'll try cleaning the pins on my memory, which has given trouble before (complete failure to boot, really, not virtually).

The failure is at 18.000000 or 21.00000 (different Salixes, fake zeroes).

I shoud also try installing this on another machine with the same Salix. If it *is* a hardware fault, though, it seems odd it should be so consistent when any such problems are otherwise fairly rare (maybe weekly in the dry season).
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Also if you have two banks, try swamping them.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Only those members of my family who use that Other OS are entitled to two banks. To each according to his need. But I could borrow one to test. :)