Boot problem 13.37 with an Asus laptop (ATI) [Solved]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
tsuren

Boot problem 13.37 with an Asus laptop (ATI) [Solved]

Post by tsuren »

I have just noticed (as I was testing the fluxbox, ratpoison and kde fresh on a laptop - ASUS pro055 series with ATI HD3470) that the start up failed in all cases. I have not used this machine for some time but it was running with 13.1 before. So I was expecting no problem as a testing machine. So the symptoms:

After bios check, the start up script starts to roll, then just as it moves into the boot bitmap image (though I have chosen the text format), the monitor goes fuzzy "Ringu"-like TV screen.

I am sure this is an isolated case, but still, has anyone experienced something similar?
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
Duncan_Idaho

Re: Boot problem 13.37 with an Asus laptop (with Ati driver)

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

last week I had a similar problem, I did a clean install of salix64 on my laptop which have a HD 3200 card, with the free driver it worked ok
I installed the proprietary driver and no sweat, but then I pluged in a thumbdrive and the whole thing assploded and throwed me to TTY1 with a kernel panic
I rebooted (without the thumbdrive connected) but the kernel panic persisted, so this last week I've been using Slack64 because I needed a working environment
but KDE is not my cup of tea and I'm going to try if installing the 32bits version of salix hoping that I can avoid the same problem

btw, in slackland I installed the proprietary driver ok, but the TTY's are unusable and suspend doesn't work
both worked ok with the free driver tho :S
tsuren

Re: Boot problem 13.37 with an Asus laptop (with Ati driver)

Post by tsuren »

ok, i got a little bit further.

removing "green" tab/spaces in rc.S and rc.udev files gave me a brief success. The first hurdle was gone. Now I can start Salix on init 3.
Then as the native driver could not work, I had to install the ati driver. Now GUI login screen is up. Super. and I thought I managed to solve the problem, but no, no.
Now the keyboard and the mouse are not working. So I guess it is now xorg problem. I was playing around with the xorg.conf, but now i am too tired to continue.
tsuren

Re: Boot problem 13.37 with an Asus laptop (ATI) [Solved]

Post by tsuren »

Passing "nomodeset" as a kernel option during booting solved the problem. :)

One thing i will not forget to include in the start up guide!