Mobile Broadband 3G

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
get2gether

Mobile Broadband 3G

Post by get2gether »

Hi all,
I live on the road and need to connect via a 3G dongle, i have searched the forum and wiki for any details, problems, etc, and can't find anything! So i have no network connection, though it is possible to use a friends home connection for a package search/install, also i can use another live cd distro to download. Would someone kindly tell me if there is any suitable pkgs? And if so, what would you recommend?

I have just installed SalixLive 13.1.2 to a usb stick, can't believe how simple and smoothly the whole process went.

Thanks for your time.

Steve
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Mobile Broadband 3G

Post by gapan »

I think the easiest way would be to install umtsmon. To do that, you'll first need to install qt3 from a slackware 13.0 extra repository: ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/linux/slackware/s ... de3-compat
qt3 is deprecated, so you might need to create some symlinks so that you don't have libraries pointing to nowhere.

After you install qt3, you can try building umtsmon with slapt-src:

Code: Select all

slapt-src -i umtsmon
This is from the umtsmon README file in slackbuilds.org:
To make umtsmon work with Slackware you have to either manually
set /usr/sbin/pppd suid root, or run umtsmon with sudo or as root.
Also read thenktor's post here: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1500#p1500
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Perhaps this may help, too: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Using_UMTS_modems
But as gapan said umtsmon should be the easiest way.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
get2gether

Post by get2gether »

"I think the easiest way would be to install umtsmon."

Thank you, I'll go and check out the Wiki link first. Appreciate the time.

Some time ago i was running Wolvix right from the early days it became available, right up to the release of Wolvix 2.0, things have dropped off since there, and it appears the forum is dead (i check from time to time).
I have also been following Salix from the beginning and am reasonably familiar with its history, it certainly has progressed quickly, now most of the bugs are ironed out i thought i'll give it a try.

Steve
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Magic script: http://www.sakis3g.org/
(tested by dNH)
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
pahliak

Post by pahliak »

Hi. I used Sakis 3G script in Ubuntu and Sabayon. But in Salix when I started Sakis 3G, modem´s led diod shine in blue and type it connect to Orange, but in network manager I haven´t got broadband option, only wifi and eth0. Firefox undownload any web site. I would like rather grafical network manager which is in *Ubuntu/Xubuntu.
luddite

Post by luddite »

hi

i'm not onthe road, but flew in relatively recently to the Uk from Africa and also only have a huawei e220 usb modem, subscribing to "three"

i have salixos 13.37 installed , i got around the problem using a piece of kit from
http://www.tenda.cn/

It is a small router, with wifi cabability and 6 ethernet ports for clients and one ethernet for wan, but also
a female usb to attach a usb modem.

It works very well all you have to do is get a connectionthrough
connection manager, and go to http://192.168.0.1
You get a gui menu, basically go to WAN settings then enter pin for three.co.uk which is 0000 and username which is the long number on the sim card.

Its quite light and small maybe 6 inch * 3/4 7 4 inch powered via a 220 volt three pin plug adapter, that comes with it.

It will work with just about any 3g service
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

anton

Post by anton »

Hi, I have installed Salix 13.37 in vmware player and my problem is that the only way to connect to internet is via mobile broadband.To connect I have installed offline usb_modeswitch, wvstreams and wvdial by installpkg, I am a beginner and I do not know if this is the right way to do in salix - slackware (in crunchbang was very easy - has network manager installed)I have tried to connect with Sakis3g too but the result is the same - no net connection. Although my modem led light shows that I'm connected, modem is detected and work(lsusb).In other Debian distributions -ifconfig eth0 down- command must be given for ppp0 to connect to the Internet. Here I guess- /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 eth0_stop or wlan0_stop but vainly. I know I'm close to succeed but I do not know what to do. Help me if you can.
pahliak

Post by pahliak »

anton wrote:Hi, I have installed Salix 13.37 in vmware player and my problem is that the only way to connect to internet is via mobile broadband.To connect I have installed offline usb_modeswitch, wvstreams and wvdial by installpkg, I am a beginner and I do not know if this is the right way to do in salix - slackware (in crunchbang was very easy - has network manager installed)I have tried to connect with Sakis3g too but the result is the same - no net connection. Although my modem led light shows that I'm connected, modem is detected and work(lsusb).In other Debian distributions -ifconfig eth0 down- command must be given for ppp0 to connect to the Internet. Here I guess- /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 eth0_stop or wlan0_stop but vainly. I know I'm close to succeed but I do not know what to do. Help me if you can.
I have simillar problem. Today I installed wvstreams, wvdial and attempt Sakis 3g again. Without change.