problem setting up wireless

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
justwantin

problem setting up wireless

Post by justwantin »

I have no experience at all with wireless and am at a loss to get wireless working on my acer aspire one netbook. I am using a tplink usb wireless dongle that has worked for a day on an install on slack 13 as an experiment.

I have not edited /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf but using a wicd setup I see my network but cannot connect. I am using a fixed IP and as far as I can tell my settings in wicd are correct including my preshared key, however on trying to connect I am told the connection failed because of a bad password. The password is correct and works on two other machines running xp.

Can anyone give me some hints as to where I should be looking for the problem
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
4-stroke

Re: problem setting up wireless

Post by 4-stroke »

I think you have the same chipset as i do.
Try opening a terminal and as root run this command:

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 power off
Then try to connect with wicd again, and see what happens.
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

My chipset is a railink rt2501/rt2573.

After turning power off and trying to connect again with wicd I still cannot connect.

I am sure this is a configuration problem. For one thing I do not have wpa supplicant set up but I had not seen it mentioned in my readings on wicd.

I'm now going to try to set this up using iwconfig which I understand will require me to have wpa supplicant set up.

My concern now is that I will now have some previous configuration interfering with getting this set up, for example wicd.
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
4-stroke

Post by 4-stroke »

justwantin wrote: I'm now going to try to set this up using iwconfig which I understand will require me to have wpa supplicant set up.
You shouldn't have to do that, wicd works great.
Doesn't the Aspire One have built-in wireless, why do you use a dongle?

What does

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a
tell you?
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

It is a very recent broadcom chipset which I had to blacklist in order to boot either salix or slack, I have to do the install using noudev.

It is possible to compile a new driver for this chipset but I know this dongle works because I had it connected to this router/modem with a slack 13 install off a mobo screwed up on the wall in my shop.

I need to install kernel source to compile that driver and rather than set up eth0 and download through a wire I figured I'd us the dongle and learn a bit about wireless set up in the process.
wicd works great
Maybe so but it hasn't for me and I haven't been able to google up a reason why. I'm not in a rush.
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
4-stroke

Post by 4-stroke »

I use the rt2x00 driver too and it worked fine with 13.0. When I changed to 13.1 it stopped
working and the only thing i had to do was to add the power off line to rc.local and connect
as usual with WPA2 using wicd.

I'm far from an expert myself. :ugeek: I hope you get it solved.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Quick test...

Try blacklisting the railink rt2501/rt2573 kernel module(s) (if they exist) and install the Windows XP driver via ndiswrapper.

There are plenty guides on how to do this so I wont repeat it here [google] and there is even a frontend included with the default install of Salix.

Finally, you might want to read this [link] to acquaint your self with some of the Slackware networking scripts if your considering abandoning wicd.

Good luck ;)
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

Try blacklisting the railink rt2501/rt2573 kernel module(s) (if they exist) and install the Windows XP driver via ndiswrapper.
The railink rt2501/rt2573 is just a dongle that I know has worked in slack 13 I don't need to blacklist it, just pull it out of the port.

This netbook came with a broadcom bcm4312 802.11b/g (rev 01) There is a new driver source released for linux by broadcom which searches indicate is successfully compliled by some not by others. I can't try myself until I d'load salix kernel source. Hence my try to get the railink dongle connected.

I have loaded the broadcom driver, bcmwl5.inf, into ndiswrapper using the gtk tool that came with salix and the command ndiswapper -l tells me it has been installed.

However, modprobe ndiswrapper tells me that ndiswrapper is not found.

It is in /lib/modules/misc so when I do an insmod -f /lib/modules/misc ndiswrapper I am given an Invalid format message.

I haven't googled up a solution to anything yet but there are enough posts out there concerning this chipset to make me feel that the railink dongle might be the softer easier way to go.
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

The railink rt2501/rt2573 is just a dongle that I know has worked in slack 13 I don't need to blacklist it, just pull it out of the port.
You need to blacklist the module so as to stop ndiswrapper conflicting with it! That said I think you might have bigger problems.

If I'm honest I'd probably just buy an Atheros Mini-PCIE wifi card from Ebay (I did this recently at a cost of £5) then replace that Broadcom card and be done with it.

Ralink kit generally works but I've ran across a few USB dongles that I've given up on.
Broadcom kit is generally bad news but you'll eventually get it working if you download the kernel-source, cut the firmware etc etc etc... and lost time off you life in the process.
Atheros kit just works and I've only ever had to use ndiswrapper once for a very new model, even then it was supported by the kernel a month later.

Sorry this might not be very helpful but I'm not sure where else to point you!
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

Well I never did care much for positive rants :^{

Maybe broadcom will work maybe it won't, maybe ndiswrapper ain't right, railink won't work with this kernel it did with the last, dunno, but before I go out and by an atheros whatever I'd make sure It wasn't anything else other than a bad config. Worse comes to worse I can tame the beast with the wired nic.

Wireless would be nice so I could watch dtv off the server in bed or read a book.
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net