unetbootin-linux-471 not working in 13.0.2a 64-bit [SOLVED]

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
caitlyn

unetbootin-linux-471 not working in 13.0.2a 64-bit [SOLVED]

Post by caitlyn »

unetbootin, the latest version for Linux, does not work in 64-but SalixOS 13.0.2a. It either fails to launch or else exits immediately with no error message. It works fine in Ubuntu using the same downloaded executable, not the package from the PPA. Any suggestions?
Last edited by caitlyn on 5. Jun 2010, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
damNageHack

Re: unetbootin-linux-471 not working in 13.0.2a 64-bit

Post by damNageHack »

You maybe need some 32 bits libraries to get it to work. But I do not know which ones exactly. :?

Code: Select all

$ file unetbootin-linux-471 
unetbootin-linux-471: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
So have you also tried with Salix 32 bits version?
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

damNageHack wrote:You maybe need some 32 bits libraries to get it to work. But I do not know which ones exactly. :?

$ file unetbootin-linux-471 
unetbootin-linux-471: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
So have you also tried with Salix 32 bits version?
I don't have a 32-bit version installed at present.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

caitlyn wrote:I don't have a 32-bit version installed at present.
So you should use 32 bits for unetbootin. I can not believe that it works with Buntu 64 bits (there have to be some 32 bits libs available).
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

caitlyn wrote:unetbootin, the latest version for Linux, does not work in 64-but SalixOS 13.0.2a. It either fails to launch or else exits immediately with no error message. It works fine in Ubuntu using the same downloaded executable, not the package from the PPA. Any suggestions?
You mean you downloaded the binary from the unetbootin homepage? That should be, as damNageHack already noted, a 32-bit binary and will not work in 64-bit systems, unless those systems also include 32-bit libraries, something that slackware and salix don't do by default.

The easiest way to try the latest version in a salix 13.0 system would be to go to /usr/src/unetbootin-356, edit the SLKBUILD file in there and change the pkgver line to point to the new version. Then run slkbuild -X in the same directory and after some compiling you should have a package ready in the same location.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

gapan wrote:The easiest way to try the latest version in a salix 13.0 system would be to go to /usr/src/unetbootin-356, edit the SLKBUILD file in there and change the pkgver line to point to the new version. Then run slkbuild -X in the same directory and after some compiling you should have a package ready in the same location.
Yes, please try to use the salix package, there is also one for 64 bits. Currently, version 429 is in the repository. Execute as root the following command before able to edit SLKBUILD:

slapt-get -i unetbootin
gapan wrote:You mean you downloaded the binary from the unetbootin homepage?
There are only these 32 bits binaries. Maybe gapan wants to mention that a package has to be build from source for your own. But is 64 bits supported officially while no binaries provided? I doubt it.
The best way will be to ask the developers of unetbootin directly.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

damNageHack wrote:Yes, please try to use the salix package, there is also one for 64 bits. Currently, version 429 is in the repository. Execute as root the following command before able to edit SLKBUILD:

slapt-get -i unetbootin
daminagehack, the 429 package in the repository is built for 13.1, it won't work in 13.0, caitlyn wants to use a recent version in 13.0.
damNageHack wrote:There are only these 32 bits binaries. Maybe gapan wants to mention that a package has to be build from source for your own.
That's what I did, didn't I?
damNageHack wrote:But is 64 bits supported officially while no binaries provided? I doubt it.
The best way will be to ask the developers of unetbootin directly.
I'm thinking you have misunderstood some things.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

gapan wrote: You mean you downloaded the binary from the unetbootin homepage? That should be, as damNageHack already noted, a 32-bit binary and will not work in 64-bit systems, unless those systems also include 32-bit libraries, something that slackware and salix don't do by default.
The last part explains why very clearly: the missing libraries. It also explains why it does work with Ubuntu. Definitely not a SalixOS bug, then. I had meant to post this in Problems anyway, not in bugs.

Thanks.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

Some good news to report :D I used the provided SLKBUILD in the repository and had no problem at all building a 64-bit version of unetbootin that works brilliantly on Salix 13.0.2a. I should have looked in the repository first. Oh well... live and learn.