Gslapt want to downgrade(?) my packages...

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
Pai Mei
Donor

Gslapt want to downgrade(?) my packages...

Post by Pai Mei »

Today I have noticed this strange behavior (with two recent upgraded packages).

The first package is the Java plugin (the jre package). I upgraded it (using a SlackBuild). Install went fine, and now I have the jre-6u31-x86_64-1.txz package in my system.

The second package is the protobuf package. I have installed the Compiz window manager (using Sourcery) some months ago, but it stopped to work (because it can't find the libprotobuf.so.7, when I tried to use the fusion-icon or ccsm). When I reinstalled all the Compiz packages, the error was gone (and I can use Compiz again). :D

But now the things get "strange". The Gslapt update icon appeared, telling me that I need to do some updates. Ok. But when I looked for what packages are selected, I saw:

1) jre
Installed version: 6u31-x86_64-1
Latest version available: 6u25-x86_64-1 (???)

2) protobuf
Installed version: 2.4.1-x86_64-2_SBo
Latest version available: 2.3.0-x86_64-1dj (???)

And Gslapt want to "upgrade" my packages... I added them to the exclusion list (in Preferences...), but I'm wondering if every time I use a Sourcery package (or a manual installed package, using upgradepkg) the Gslapt wants to downgrade it (and I have to watch it closely, never trusting in it again???)

So... any advices or thoghts about this strange behavior (bug?)??
Linux User #551004
Pentium Core i5-6400
Salix 15 XFCE 64 bits
aurlaent
Donor

Re: Gslapt want to downgrade(?) my packages...

Post by aurlaent »

Pai Mei wrote: I upgraded it (using a SlackBuild).

And Gslapt want to "upgrade" my packages... I added them to the exclusion list (in Preferences...), but I'm wondering if every time I use a Sourcery package (or a manual installed package, using upgradepkg) the Gslapt wants to downgrade it (and I have to watch it closely, never trusting in it again???)

So... any advices or thoghts about this strange behavior (bug?)??
If you want to manage the packages manually (e.g. using SlackBuild as you have done) the the correct thing to do is us the exclusion list to stop Gslapt managing them automatically (as you have done).
There is no strange software behaviour here.
Gslapt gets it's package lists from the repositories and wants to install the latest available versions.
It doesn't know what you have been doing behind it's back unless you tell it.
You do need to be careful managing packages manually as you may break dependency relationships.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Pai Mei wrote:So... any advices or thoghts about this strange behavior (bug?)??
No strange behaviour. It may also be possible, that there is an intended downgrade available in the repository. So Gslapt just wants to install the same version as in the repository. If you change packages yourself you have to blacklist them.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Pai Mei
Donor

Post by Pai Mei »

Thanks for the thoughts aurlaent and thenktor.

Now I understand that the responsibility for manually installed packages is mine, and (as thenktor and aurlaent said) Gslapt just wants to install (its) packages as same (latest) version in the repository. For now, I will watch carefully my own installed packages (blacklisting them), to avoid situations like this, or a possible break of the dependency system.

Thx.
Linux User #551004
Pentium Core i5-6400
Salix 15 XFCE 64 bits